In part 1 of this series I wrote that George Brooks is believed to be the father of Christopher Brooks because he heired to Christopher 1000 acres in TN as a military bounty land grant.
In part 2, I discussed my belief that Christopher Brooks Sr and Susannah Williams were the parents of Christopher Williams Brooks and NOT George Brooks and provided supporting documentation to support this belief. Most of the records related to Susannah Williams.
The following post focused on Christopher Brooks Sr.
This weekend I visited the NC State Archives and searched for Christopher William(s) Brooks’ Father, Christopher Brooks (Sr.) who supposedly married Susannah Williams. I searched the following records for Christopher Brooks Sr:
- Caswell Co., NC List of Taxables for 1777, 1780, & 1784 , microfilm, Call No. 020.70001
- Caswell Co., NC Index of Recorded Wills, 1777-1926, Volume 1, microfilm, Call No. 020.81001
- Caswell Co., NC Record of Wills, Volumes A, B, C, microfilm, Call No. 020.80001. These records were also abstracted by Katherine Kerr Kendall’s “Caswell County, NC Will Books, 1777 – 1814 & 1814 – 1843” which can be searched on ancestry.com
- Caswell Co., NC Loose Papers of Estate Files, Call No. 020.508.080 – On 3/18/2006 I noted that there was a folder for Christopher Brooks, 1782 with Henry Williams as administrator; I can not find copies of these papers; Should be with my Christopher W. Brooks papers from 1840 and 1851. To Do: Locate and copy Christopher Brooks’ estate papers from 1782
- Land grants from the State of NC, card catalog: Granville, Caswell, Orange, Edgecombe Counties
- Caswell Co., NC Index to Real Estate Conveyances, Grantors and Grantees, microfilm
Unfortunately Christopher Brooks was not listed in any of these records. I did, however, find references to other families of interest and will post those results separately.
As a side, I also searched these records for George Brooks, who most researchers believe is the father of this Christopher William(s) Brooks. I did find some references to him here.