Yesterday I emailed Kay Haden who posted a rootwebs family tree file that included information on the Brooks, Williams, and Holderness families. In her file, she lists Thomas and Mary Blacknall Brooks as the parents of Elizabeth (md. Holderness), George, Charles, and Christopher Brooks (md. Susannah Williams). In her email, she listed the Kingston Parish Registry of Gloucester (later Matthews Co.), VA as her source for the information on George and Christopher Brooks. I found copies of the registry online on ancestry.com. I was able to pull all of the references to the Brook(e)s families, as well I found the connection to the Flippin family.
There were 17 entries for Brook(e)s family members in the Kingston Parish Registry of Gloucester Co., VA (Kingston Parish became Mathews County, VA in 1791). Some of the entries indicate time of birth, marriage, death, and familial relationships. There are two page numbers listed at the end of each entry, the first is the page in Matheny’s book; the second page number is the page of the original vestry register.
Thomas Brooks & Mary Blacknall Family:
Thomas Brooks married Mrs. Mary Blacknall, Dec. 16, 1749, by Rev. Richard Locke. License. (3/217)
1. George Brookes, son of Thomas and Mary. Born May 8 and Baptized June 12, 1757. (32/14)
2. _______her Brookes, son of Thomas and Mary. Baptized February 1_, 1755. No page listed.
George Brooks & Susannah Davis Family:
George Brooks married Susannah Davis, May 18, 1756. (3/221)
1. John Brooks, son of George and Susanna. Born May 8 and Baptized November 15, 1767. (32)
2. Joyce Keeble Brookes, daughter of George and Susanna. Born May 30 and Baptized June 30, 1762. (32/23)
3. Nancy Brookes, daughter of George and Susanna. Born January 20 and Baptized March 13, 1774. (32/156)
4. Susanna(h) Brookes, daughter of George and Susannah. Born April 21 and Baptized June 16, 1765. (32/28)
5. Thomas Brookes, son of George and Susanna. Born February 26, 1757. (32/14)
6. William Brookes, son of George and Susanna. Born October 12 and Baptized December 9, 1770. (32/38)
Dorothy Brookes & Thomas Flippin Family
Other miscellaneous Brook(e)s family entries:
Johannah Brookes married Henry Robinson, Nov. 7, 1765. License. (19/225)
Mary Brookes married Thomas Jones, May 12, 1763. License. (224)
Ann Brooks married Christopher Dawson, June 25, 1758. (6/222)
Ann Smith Brooks, daughter of Richard and ______. Born April __, 1770 and Baptized April 11, 1770. (32/37)
Joseph Brooks married Frances Murry Killigrew, Dec. 29, 1754. (3/220)
Source information: Kingston Parish, Virginia Register, 1749-1827 by Matheny, Emma R., comp. Richmond, VA: 1963. Source Location: Ancestry.com & Olivia Raney History Library, Wake Co., NC
Filed under: Brooks, Gloucester Co., VA, Virginia | Tagged: Brookes, Brooks, CharlesBrooks, ChristopherBrooks, Dorothy Brookes, Flippin, GeorgeBrooks, GloucesterCoVA, KingstonParish, MatthewsCoVA, Thomas Brooks, Virginia, Williams | 2 Comments »